Features of an electric drill for winter fishing
Experienced anglers know that not a single winter fishing is complete without an ice drill. Manual drilling is a long past century. Modern electric drills are very popular among fishermen because they save time. In this article you will learn the advantages and disadvantages of the device, as well as detailed instructions on how to make an electric drill with your own hands.
The principle of operation of the electric drill
An ice drill is a device for drilling ice. An electric drill consists of an electric motor and a screw, to which knives are attached. There are handles on the sides of the engine that you must hold on to while the appliance is in operation — this position allows you to evenly distribute the load. The device’s motor starts and rotates due to the energy coming from the battery. The battery life depends not only on the quality of the device, but also on the size of the screw: the smaller it is, the longer the drill will work on a single charge.
Did you know? Modern models of electric drills have interchangeable cutting nozzles. They can be changed depending on the thickness of the ice or the size of the fish.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like all devices, electric drill has both pros and cons.
- The positive qualities of the device include:
- silent operation - silence increases the success of the catch;
- a light weight;
- long work in the cold;
- the ability to charge from a car battery;
- does not require long assembly;
- simplicity in operation, lack of vibration;
- quick preparation for the drilling process;
- high productivity, more than 20 holes can be made at a time;
- It doesn’t pollute the environment, compared to gasoline-powered drill aggregates, and does not emit combustion products into the air.
- The disadvantages of the device include:
- high cost - a good and high-quality ice drill costs from 80,000 rubles;
- reduced device performance in severe frost.
Nevertheless, the device has much more positive qualities. Thanks to him, winter fishing will be a pleasant stay.
The ice drill consists of the following parts:
- Handle. At the electric drill, the handles are located on different sides from the central axis, or one upper one, which is strictly on this axis, forming a whirl. Drilling takes place with two hands to properly distribute the load.
- Screw - a spiral that is below the handle. It determines the direction of movement of the device and extracts ice from the hole.
- Cutting nozzle - the part that crashes into the ice, and is a holder with two straight knives.
Important! In order not to damage the knives of the electric drill during transportation, it must be in a protective cover.
There are several types of drilling machines. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages. Ice drills are:
Kolovorot is a curved pipe with a diameter of 19 mm. Handles are located on it. The cutting part of the device consists of knives and holders. Many types of electric drills have two or three knives, the design of which is spherical or straight. The first knife is convenient when used on both dry and wet ice, but at the same time it is quite difficult to sharpen it. The second - well suited for dry ice, and to cope with wet you need to make an effort. Most fishermen choose a screw diameter for a specific type of fish in order to cut down a hole corresponding to these dimensions.
How to make an electric drill for winter fishing with your own hands
You can make a fishing tool with your own hands. Most modern screwdrivers have excellent power and long battery life.Therefore, if you have such an instrument and a passion for winter fishing, it is not difficult to turn it into a quality ice drill.
To make a homemade product you will need:
- manual ice drill;
- cordless screwdriver.
Video: Do-it-yourself electric drill from an old drill and screwdriver
To assemble a quality tool, you need to be responsible for the assembly of all parts.
For home-made electric drill screws from hand drills are great:
- Ice Arctic.
The screwdriver must meet the following characteristics:
- The battery power is 2.5–3.0 Ah.
- Supply voltage - 18–36 V.
- Torque 40/80 Nm
Adapter - the part that connects the screwdriver to the screw. It can be purchased or made by yourself. In cross section, the adapter has the shape of a hexagon. One side of it should be clamped in the chuck of a screwdriver using a special key. The adapter is connected to the screw by means of a pre-drilled hole into which a bolt of the required size is inserted.
Did you know? If the temperature drops to -10 ° C, after working it is better to disconnect the battery from the screwdriver and place it in a warm place.
Popular models of electric drills
Most fishermen choose models of electric drill according to the following criteria:
- handle length. It is she who determines the depth of drilling;
- screw size. The width of the hole depends on it;
- work volume. Sometimes the amount of catch depends on this indicator;
- weight. To prevent drilling from causing trouble, the device should be light enough.
Ion power auger
One of the most convenient and popular drilling machines. Country of origin - USA. The weight of the device is 10 kg. The battery charge allows you to make about 35 holes. Silent and eco-friendly. But the price is quite high - 70,000 rubles.
Mora ice electric
High-quality Swiss instrument. It functions both from the mains and from the battery. It can make more than 20 holes with a diameter of 15 cm. The thickness of the drilled ice is 1 meter. The weight of the device without a screw is 10 kg. One of the best units in the average price range. The price is 19 000 rubles.
A unit that combines affordable price and good quality. Made in China. Made of aluminum, rubber handles. It is small in size - 45 × 28 × 28 cm. It is easy to operate, but in performance it is slightly worse than the models presented above. Its price is 9,000 rubles.
Important! After using the electric drill, it must be thoroughly wiped from water and lubricated with a small layer of engine oil.
If you are a lover of winter fishing - an electric drill will certainly facilitate your task and make your hobby more enjoyable. It does not matter which device you decide to give preference to, expensive or budget, they are the same in the care. Knives must be cleaned of snow, sand and other debris, and also take care of the tool during operation. Then the ice drill will serve you for many years and become a reliable helper in winter fishing.