Features of a makeshift tent
For inveterate fishermen, snow and frost is not a reason to abandon the pleasure and positive emotions of winter fishing. However, adjustments for weather conditions still have to be done. In order to minimize the discomfort from the cold wind and possible precipitation, you need to purchase a tent. Such products are available in abundance on the market, but those who have creative potential or simply want to save money can always make such a device on their own from improvised materials.
Characteristics and construction of the tent
Before embarking on the independent creation of the structure, you should decide on its main characteristics and type of structure.
Did you know? Several centuries ago, Japanese fishermen used a rather ingenious plan for fishing: each of them had a tamed and specially trained cormorant, on whose neck a special collar was put on. The bird hunted fish, and having caught it and having no ability to swallow it, carried the prey to its owner.
It should be noted that, due to the weather conditions, structures for fishing in winter are somewhat different from the usual ones in the following parameters:
- their height should include a comfortable person in a sitting position on a fishing box;
- the design necessarily contains special loops that will keep the entire structure on ice, even in conditions of strong wind;
- the floor is equipped with the ability to open, which will provide the possibility of drilling holes;
- the material must have thermal insulation characteristics.
Among the main characteristics of the tent for winter fishing note:
- Windproof - this parameter is influenced by both the material of manufacture and the correctness of the seams, the quality of the locks and the density of closing doors and windows. For example, poorly vented openings will contribute to rapid heat loss. And the formation and icing of condensate must be prevented by special valves and a ventilation system.
- Wind resistance - Due to the large area of the tent, the influence of strong winds can be very noticeable and lead to its deformation. Therefore, in windy weather it is recommended to additionally tie the structure with a cord to an ice ax, which is previously fixed in ice. Also, the stability of the tent will directly depend on the quality of the material and the thickness of the frame guides.
- Mobility - also refers to important factors, since it provides for the need for a sled or other transportation objects in case of acquisition of multilayer, three-dimensional structures. While small and medium tents can easily be carried on the shoulders in a backpack.
- Water resistant - the indicator depends on the quality of the material and indicates the ability of the tent not to let moisture through even in conditions of heavy rain. Today, many manufacturers use special impregnation, which gives the building a water resistance of 5,000 mm (the ability of the material not to pass and not to absorb water). For example, this indicator for tarpaulins is up to 500 mm, and for synthetic materials - up to 1,000 mm.
- Breathable properties - the materials used in the manufacture of tents for winter fishing do not have high breathing properties. This is explained by the inappropriateness of such use of materials - they are quite expensive and have a short period of operation.
The design of the tents has several basic forms:
- umbrella model - easy to assemble design, with an umbrella-shaped device, on top of which a canvas cover is worn;
- frame model - the basis is a folding frame device in the form of a rectangle or prism, over which a canvas cover is worn;
- automatic model - It is characterized by an automatically-folding frame device with stretched water-repellent material (it is most popular due to the speed and ease of installation).
How to make a tent for winter fishing do it yourself
A tent for winter fishing can be done independently, however, during the selection of the optimal material, the first thing to pay attention to is the following:
- the resulting tent should have lightness, compactness and mobility, which will facilitate its movement in the process of choosing the best place for fishing;
- covering material is dense and waterproof (for example, tarpaulin);
- the design is easy to install and lay out;
- the elements are made of lightweight and durable material (for example, it is better to replace the plastic core with aluminum);
- the tent should retain heat inside.
Video: how to make a winter tent
Depending on the chosen model, tents can have different shapes and designs. So, the construction can be stationary (in the form of a house) and require assembly every time the fisherman moves from place to place. Or be placed on skis, which will make it possible to easily move the shelter without the need to assemble it and install it again each time.
Tent material selection
In the manufacturing process of home-made shelter structures, it is allowed to use a variety of materials. Most often, they are dense fabrics or polyethylene, or they use the material of an old tourist tent. For more stable designs, plywood can be used. The choice will depend on both the personal preferences of the fisherman and the financial possibilities. Many independently make tents from materials that can always be found in a garage or pantry, without resorting to additional costs.
Did you know? The largest fish caught on a fishing rod was a white shark. This event happened at the end of the 50s of the last century, and the weight of the catch was 1 208 kg.
Made of polyethylene
Polyethylene is one of the most affordable materials.
The design of such a tent is easy to perform and can have several types:
- The simplest case involves the absence of a frame, and a drill that is stuck in ice or an ice pick can be used as a rack. The upper part of the material is sewn together, and the lower is bent inward and fixed with any heavy objects. A product of this kind is notable for its low cost and ease of installation. However, there are also disadvantages: the inconvenience of fishing with active cutting and a low level of protection from wind and rainfall.
- There is also a more complex version of the design using plastic pipes as the frame. In the manufacture of additional materials will be required - connecting elements and a soldering iron. The polyethylene film should have the following dimensions: one side - 3 m, the other - 4 m. This segment is given the shape of a triangle or quadrangle (optional). For the pyramidal frame, plastic pipes in the form of two triangles are soldered, the installation of which is carried out from the ends. At the same time, the main parts of the figure are connected using adapters (i.e., in the end, one side of the pipe is soldered to the desired element, and the second is inserted into the other). The point at which the details of the tent intersect (top of the structure) should be further secured with a rope.
From skis or sleds and awnings
This design is a time-tested shelter used by many winter fishing enthusiasts.
Important! If the movement of the tent is carried out in conditions of strong wind, you can lower the level of windage by removing the tent.
Instructions for the manufacture of such a shelter consists of several main steps:
- The frame is vertically positioned ski poles, and horizontally (above) - plastic or aluminum tubes. In the corners, the structure is connected using tees of the right size.
- Ski poles are attached to the skis themselves, to which metal plates are screwed and a tongue is inserted, located at the bottom of the poles. In order to fix this mechanism, the stick is rotated 90 °.
- The connecting element between the fishing box and the frame are tubes that bend and attach a latch on one side and a clutch on the other.
- The box and tubes are connected using a spring made of a copper strip.
- The structure is covered with an awning, and at the bottom of the covering material is fixed using the holes prepared in the fabric (the brackets installed on the edges of the skis are threaded into them). The stability of the entire structure is given by several cargoes fixed to the tent.
The tent can also be built from any fabric suitable for these purposes. The capacity of such a tent is 1-2 people.
To make it, you will need:
- water-repellent material - 12-14 m²;
- metal washers (diameter - 1.5 cm) - 20 pcs.;
- strong cable - 12-15 m;
- tape (narrow) - 9-10 m;
- material with rubberized base - 6–7 m.
The assembly process itself consists of several stages:
- Two tissue sections are prepared (1.8 × 1 m in size), marks are made on each side at a distance of 65 cm from each other. An incision is made at the junction, which will serve as the entrance to the tent and the back wall.
- All elements are carefully stitched together, additionally reinforcing the seams with tape.
- To enable tight fastening of the fabric at the entrance to it, metal rings are pre-sewn.
From a tourist tent
If the fisherman has a tourist tent at his disposal, it can be easily adapted as a shelter during winter fishing. For this, simple improvements are used. For example, if there is a bottom in the tent, a special cutout is made in it for access to the hole (it can also be equipped with a zipper, which will greatly increase convenience). At the same time, it will be possible to use such a tent not only in winter, but also in other seasons for its intended purpose.
The use of plywood allows you to get a small house at the exit that can reliably protect fishermen during winter fishing. At the same time, the dimensions of the structure are selected according to the expected number of people. The plywood sheets will protrude through the walls, which are interconnected by bars using fasteners.
Additionally, inside such a tent, the walls are covered with foil insulation used as a heater. The disadvantage of this design is its bulkiness, and therefore the movement will be associated with some difficulties (you will need a car or sled).
To facilitate such a tent and make it more mobile, you can use a combination of two materials: plywood and plastic film. In this case, the floor and the back wall will be made of plywood, and the frame itself - from wooden beams. The entire structure is covered with a film and carefully attached to the base, and then the tent is put on skis.
Selection of other materials
The main thing that you should pay attention to when choosing fabric and structural elements is their strength and reliability. Shelters for winter fishing can also be equipped with safe and practical equipment.
It has many options and the choice here is really extensive, however, from the most necessary, there are:
- Heating system - depending on the size, you can use a stove that includes a heat exchanger, gearbox and ventilation system (for large tents) or a gas burner or stove with a gas cylinder (for small and medium-sized buildings). In this case, regardless of the selected method of heating, all safety measures should be taken to avoid burning: eliminate any gas leak, and open the ventilation window at night.
- Light and reflective elements - For fishing at night, lighting and protection from riders on snowmobiles will be required. In this case, you can also use the simplest options (for example, a candle) or stock up on more modern methods (a lamp with power or an LED flashlight).
- Household items - additional equipment will increase the level of comfort. These include folding beds, chairs and tables, rugs and sleeping bags.
Making a tent frame
To obtain the necessary shelter, especially if such work is carried out for the first time, it is necessary to clearly understand the phased work. The frame is one of the main nodes of the shelter structure, and therefore, the choice of materials and connecting elements should be approached with special attention.
Important! Before going fishing, it is important to assemble the frame and make sure that everything is done correctly, and that the shelter itself is stable.
The assembly process is carried out according to the following scheme:
- determine the type of structure and calculate the material;
- prepare consumables, tools, auxiliary parts;
- make the base of the tent with a pallet that will allow sliding;
- carry out the assembly of the frame;
- cover the structure with a pre-sewn awning.
The most popular among fishermen are:
- arches from tents made of aluminum - differ in small stability at the necessary length and high cost;
- aluminum tubes (optimal option: diameter 18 mm, aluminum alloy grade D16T);
- fiberglass reinforcement - low price and the ability to choose different sections;
- plastic pipes —Plastic and there is the possibility of selecting the right size.
The main step in the manufacture of each element of the shelter structure for winter fishing is a pre-prepared drawing. It is on its basis that you should create a pattern from the selected material. This approach will help to avoid size errors. It is also necessary to consider 2-3 additional centimeters, which should be left on the seam allowances. Sagging can be avoided by fixing the dome with eyelets, which, if necessary, can be reinforced with reinforced tape.
All shelter structures should be fixed on ice. In the case of self-construction of tents, for this purpose they use tinkers, which are made using metal rods and self-tapping screws. In this case, the rod will act as a handle, and therefore it must be carefully attached to the self-tapping screw (by welding). Additionally, for ease of use, protection is put on it (for example, rubber or silicone tubes). You can also fix the tent with pegs or hooks that drive into the ice, but this option is not very convenient fasteners.
How to make a tent floor
The floor for the winter tent is not a mandatory part of the design, but is able to bring more comfort and convenience to the fishing process. Work on its manufacture and installation does not present great difficulties, and as a result, heat losses can be significantly reduced, and therefore save on heating. The optimum material can be any thick insulation (for example, Isolon), in which holes for holes are cut in advance.
Winter fishing is an integral part of the life of most fishermen. However, this pleasure is practically inaccessible to those who did not think in advance about a comfortable stay in nature in the cold season. Fortunately, fishing tents can not only be purchased, but also made with your own hands, using improvised tools without much time, labor, or material costs.